Why The New Gmail SUCKS!

I’m starting to hate Gmail so much after their recent design update. I’m writing this post hoping that it will reach someone that works in Google and they are going to do something about it. If you use Gmail you’ll know what I’m talking about. My theory is, Gmail was great, but there were employees sitting in the office doing nothing and google are paying them tons of money. To make themselves busy they said lets do a redesign!

Below I’ll list all of the reasons that made me hate the new Gmail:

1- No Space to write :

What the heck Google, Seriously! 3 line space to write a full reply. Its an email, not a tweet!! I need more space, I feel so tied up. I usually start by pressing enter 3 or 4 times to get more space before starting typing.

Screen Shot 2013-09-23 at 2.53.09 AM

2- Edit subject (when replying):

I bet you a million dollar that if my dad uses Gmail, he will throw his PC from the window because of this. How can you edit the subject? Check where did they hide it!!

Edit 1

And then after you press it see what happens!!

Edit 2

Whyyyyyy! So stupid.

3- Formatting (when replying):

Why I need to click on the A every time I need to format. Why you add an additional step for no reason!! Just to make the already small writing space even smaller!! For the first time in my life I felt that Microsoft might actually be smarter than Google in something (I started using Word to type then copy past to my email).

Screen Shot 2013-09-23 at 2.53.17 AM

4- Adding cc and bcc (when replying):

Another thing that didn’t make sense to me is what you should do to add someone in Cc or Bcc. Again, why you added two more clicks for something that didn’t need any!!

Screen Shot 2013-09-23 at 2.53.15 AM

5- New email (compose):

Similar to when you reply, you get this much smaller window to write your email. And if you have an email signature then you basically feel there is no more space to write anything!

Screen Shot 2013-09-23 at 2.53.12 AM

Please leave a comment if you share my frustration, and please help me get this post to someone that works at the Gmail department, or anyone at Google.

Google, I love you, but sorry, I really think your new Gmail SUCKS.

Update & Contribution: We received this from Peter Nixey (@peternixey), thought will be interested to add it to the post. Thanks Peter

176 Comments

1. ferdyds

/  March 23, 2014

I agree google web mail so suck, Can’t even download the attachment

• I have been silently following this discussion and now wish to add my comments, which have to do with how files are organized. I went to my gmail settings and set up gmail as I would like it. The problem is when I go look for correspondence I can’t always find it, even if I wrote the email recently. The problem arises because I would want the most recent email exchange to be at the TOP of the page, but it is either at the bottom or almost at the bottom, with one or two exchanges below it. I have spent some time trying to figure this out but I think it just doesn’t make sense. I don’t hate gmail and think it is for the most part pretty good, but it does have some quirks.

2. Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your content seem to be running off the screen in Safari.

I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to
    do with web browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know.
    The design and style look great though! Hope you get the issue
    resolved soon. Thanks

3. I HATE GMAIL period!! It sucks! Old Yahoo before their Gmail knockoff was better and easier to use, and in yahoo you can actually copy past a photo! Any photo, Imagine that!!
    But I agree with all said above, some idiot morons are paid to sit ruin something that already was horribly created! Do they get paid how by complex and stupid the product becomes! SOMEONE Please make an app that we can put on top of Google and get rid of this stupid, horrible interface! Keep it simple Stupid!! We need Google to create 3 or 4 options for their gmail interface!!!! PLEASE!!! Dont make me buy outlook to get my gmail!!

4. melle

/  April 22, 2014

Yes I agree with you, I got so frustrated I just stopped using Gmail, it is a real pain to use and change to a new one. What a waste of time dealing with these issues. Thanks so much for expressing what so many of us are feeling. Hope that
    with all these unhappy customers, they will consider making if more user friendly.

Or lets just pray.

5. Eve

/  April 23, 2014

You are so right! I hate GMAIL! My job makes us use it. It was so frustrating that I had to use Outlook to find, send, and save things. It is a horrible platform and so unnecessarily hard use. I don’t know why they would try so hard to make things difficult. And why do they hide everything. Things should be at eye site. You can’t find anything; and you can’t do the simplest tasks. I have given up my home gmail account, I don’t know why I switched in the first place…trying to follow the crowded. Gmail needs a serious REDESIGN and they need real people to give them feedback.

6. Dan

/  April 29, 2014

Agree 100%. But must add the insanity of when you write a draft. Then reopen it. It takes FOREVER to find the window in which you are composing your message. You have to scroll down down down, but oops! not TOO far down or you’ll pass it up. Totally INSANELY un-user-friendly. Why would the bullshit system not just take you immediately to the message window? It’s like it was redesigned by a bunch of novices. Totally un-google-like, total crap. Keep pulling shit like this and they’re going to go down the tubes/lose the rep they’ve worked so hard to make cutting edge, smart, and cool.

7. Murray

/  May 30, 2014

Dumped Gmail a couple of years ago, just not anything close to user friendly. Real bad.

8. KT

/  June 3, 2014

Still using gmail, and still sucks!

9. morgan

/  June 11, 2014

I despise Gmail format. There was a time I could organize myself well, get emails out with no trouble. Now I spend tons of time trying to figure out what to do, how to do it. How something so easy at one time can turn into this disaster is beyond me.

10. andrew

/  June 19, 2014

Thank you for making me feel not alone in this. Hate Gmail. Was good this this change. Can’t stand it anymore going to mail.com

11. weary of checking

/  June 22, 2014

I have always hated Gmail for these same reasons. The website looks unsophisticated and requires scrolling to read the email. Why are there no adjustment bars. All that wasted space for folder names? This is why I have been a long time user of Hotmail. I keep checking back, but after waiting years for functional changes, I am about to give up hope and just stay with Hotmail. Probably a good thing anyway. With Google’s reputation of deleting programs that work, they would probably delete it if they ever got it to work well.

12. Adam

/  July 2, 2014

I agree – it isn’t intuitive anymore. I am constantly looking for the most basic tools, such as the reply and log off buttons. The screens putting an email chain into boxes are very confusing, and when I reply to an email I don’t want my comments to be at the bottom. I am getting ready to dump Gmail.

• At the bottom? You are lucky. If I respond to an email it isn’t placed as part of the conversation in the inbox, but shows up in Sent Mail. This means I have to jump back and forth between Inbox, Sent Mail and Draft to see what is going on. I really think they think they are way too clever but never bothered to ask their users what they think. My biz partner is a computer geek and refuses to use gmail, saying it sucks. He also rapidly fixes and resolves all my mail confusions, making me thing the system is set up for a strata of the computer savvy that is above the norm.

13. Kitsy

/  July 20, 2014

I can’t stand the idiot New Message box they flash at us whenever we try to check the latest email. I always have to delete the damn thing (on right half of screen) in order to click into the unread correspondence. Why do they assume I’ll want to reply to something I haven’t had a chance to even read yet? They’re nuts. I’m in the process of junking that outfit for good.

14. theresa

/  July 26, 2014

I HATE THE NEW FORMAT IT IS NOT USER FRIENDLY IT IS FRUSTRATING

15. Eldorado

/  August 1, 2014

I actually hate Gmail. With everything you mentioned plus. I hate that in the forward window you can’t move it around. To BCC you have to click over to the right and then click on the left.
    Idiotic. And now it’s creeps so bad I’m ready to throw it out the window. Just incredible. Who are these programmers and developers who wrote this trash. Just awful. Try going someplace else like Yahoo. Same thing. Xfinity is trash also but it has an edge on Gmail.
    Is it such a huge problem that no one can write a good email program????? I realize it’s probably complex but come on people. You actually get paid to put this trash out???
    I can only shake my head and continue to be more than frustrated. I’m done with it. I don’t know where I’m going but it’s not going to be Gmail. Sick of it, sick of it and sick of it.

16. bevann

/  August 12, 2014

Totally agree! Hope gmail becomes a thought of the past and a we see a new face…one that does not set us back to the stone ages. Hate this new format – new does not mean better!! Hear us Google!

17. JD

/  August 24, 2014

I left Gmail…Dont use it anymore was fine for me before…NOW IT DOES SUCK …like many others now advertiser $ are falling on less eyes!! They shuld have left it alone. When its not broken…DONT FIX IT…Goodbye Gmail.

18. hilary

/  August 26, 2014

Gmail almost made me want to take my pc and throw it out the window. i’m so frustrated that whenever i try to check on my account, i can’t even access it with all these stupid verification every time you login and especially if your in a hurry and expecting a really important email. i can no longer access my mail all it give me now is personal info. WHY THE HECK DID THOSE GUYS MAKE IT SO DAMN DIFFICULT TO EMAIL. I HATE HATE HATE HATE GMAIL NOW!!! SOMEBODY OUT THERE PLEASE FIX THIS. GMAIL SUCKS!!!

19. Geoff Kendall

/  September 1, 2014

Completely agree. Horrible user interface. I have spent upwards of an hour trying to getan attachment somewhere offline so I can use it. Losing the will to live. The best way to use Gmail is via some other interface on IMAP.

20. My office decided to switch to Gmail instead of maintain their own e-mail servers, which I didn’t really care about – then they started coming after my Outlook, but couldn’t get myself or a number of other people to give it up. They finally forced the change, won’t allow any alternate programs, and now I’m left using this joke of a webmail program. We can’t paste hyperlinks to locations on our server anymore, pasting clips into it come through blank (even though a cc to myself comes through fine), I can’t edit the subject line, and it’s thrown my whole organizational system into upheaval. F**k Gmail, and f**k anyone defending their useless p.o.s. webmail crap.

21. aaron

/  September 16, 2014

I hate GMAIL, I’m forced to use it and i hate there layout, its confusing. At random times when i log in I’m prompted to create a back up account, merge data, the directions are very lengthy and confusing.

There email is terrible.

22. Alexander Googlebach

/  September 24, 2014

One of the biggest UI fiascos in history. I am an absolute, amazing, intergalactic IT and other stuff pro since around 2000, however, I still throw random stuff out of the window while using Gmail. Well, but that seems to be the norm at Google. Just look at Android…

23. I’ve lost my hard drive and had to replace the device sometime this past summer. Since then I’ve lost my wife’s ability to sign in on her account. She’s forgotten her password and I have not been able to get her back on line. I miss Comcast where I could call a person and they would walk me through this type of problem. Talking with a machine at my age gives me nothing but a big headache. She now using my address and won’t rid anything as we are building a housed and she needs her replies as to material etc.

Isn’t there somebody in America that can HELP?

24. O Brelsford

/  January 24, 2015

I tried giving Google feedback way back when they first f’d up GMail with their ‘redesign’. I analyzed their interface and how cumbersome it was. They responded with explanations of why it was so superior and that we could always go back to ‘classic’ style. Typical arrogant Google programmers who have their esoteric reasons for designing things the way they do and makes what should be a simple intuitive experience for the masses a cumbersome, difficult, FRUSTRATING experience. An email program is SIMPLE for Christ’s sake, keep it that way.

25. I’ll make one positive comment: I like the way Gmail interfaces with my Contacts database.

Now for the frustrating stuff: Trying to forward a simple email in Gmail can be a total pain. If you have to leave the page for any reason, good luck finding the draft, then finding where you left off. Attaching photos or documents in Gmail is a pain. So much easier and cleaner in Outlook. Cutting and pasting can be annoying (web links, etc). The text windows are too small in Gmail (expandable only on a new message). If I am sending an email with attachments or photos, I create it in Outlook (my work email interface) and forward it to my Gmail, so I can then forward that to my original recipient. Google is normally on the cutting edge, but they are way behind on Gmail. Let’s hope for a more friendly and usable interface soon!

26. George Petricko

/  March 2, 2015

I just found out about this crap when I tried to get into mail(no luck).
    Had 4 days in a row with yahoo “timing out” and have to log back in and changing passwords each time
    AOL is starting tolook good!

27. kathy

/  March 5, 2015

When I load Gmail my account name is already there, I finally got it to load without my account “email name” and next time it’s there again, I’m looking for another mailing service.

28. CC Chapman

/  March 12, 2015

I AGREE I tried at Attach something this AM= TOTAL CHAos this SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!
    CCC-Phoenix

29. Jill

/  April 12, 2015

I agree!!! Gmail has always been crap, but now even worse. I cannot even delete a table that I put into my reply!!!!! It’s the most UN-user friendly email. If everyone didn’t have this email address for me I’d probably change right now. I’ll give it a little more time, but what the f*@$ were they thinking????;
    Come on, Google!!!!

30. karen

/  April 15, 2015

I totally agree and sharing a contact with someone is a nightmare, if possible at all. I truly hate gmail for business use, but stuck with it.

31. Adam Johnson

/  May 5, 2015

Yes gmail sucks and I have always had trouble with it. The interface is terrible.

Outlook is the best. Truthfully, I only check my gmail through my blackberry!

• kitsy

/  May 10, 2015

I use this idiot email address only for receiving incoming newsletters. I NEVER use it for outgoing correspondence –or anything else, for that matter. I’ve better email addresses for those purposes.

32. karl green

/  May 10, 2015

They suck so hard because they like their jizz warm

33. I HATE HATE HATE gmail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @&%%@^&**% I am getting out! O.U.T. out!!!

34. Kattie

/  August 19, 2015

It’s not that bad… google+ sucks! It never works!

35. QT

/  August 28, 2015

Yep, I totally agree. Google and all these techtards completely do and redo shiet until it’s is a completely fing mess. Instead of making something better, they complicate, use all kinds of different colors, changing and additionally confusing terminologies. Adding more and more mess on top of already confusing replying, with all kinds of weird symbols and hidden text, I really am not sure what the f I’m am forwarding anymore. I just cross my fingers and hope the receivers gets the right message or messages. All of it is stacked onto each other, who know what hell is going on. Then on the Android, you can’t see the attachments, but on the PC you can. Google techtards just sit there and come up with new shiet to confuse themselves and everyone else. Google+ is a big mess, I mean what is the + suppose to be? Then they use, green and then blue, and automatically try to force you to ID yourself and attach your Youtube to their Gaggle+. Gaggle online help forums are crap full of confusing jargon and people giving all kinds of different advice, spinning off into all this other steps you need to do, scroll, and the verify with by adding this HTML, etc. Just all kinds of hard work, I mean take care of yourself Gaggle Bots. Why you asking your customers to jump threw loops??! Then you have to verify with your Gmail, using a code, and then your text phone number, click on a link, and then sign in again, change your link to personallze your URL. Really, you Gaggle Bots can simpllfy this shiet? Go jump in the lake, I’d rather go back to Yahoo, or even Hotmail was better except for all the spam. That was the only problem.

36. QT

/  August 28, 2015

Recently, all of my Important and Starred email was sent to the fing Trash! And apparently this problem has been ongoing for several years now. Gaggle Idiots have this to say about it: Why even use the words “Click the Gear” ?

WTH is a “unified inbox”, what is a alternative client vs a other client’s end? So we can’t delete emails for the smart phone? WTF is Gaggle saying?

Some of you have asked why your emails are going to trash without you seeing them in the inbox first. There can be several reasons why this is happening, and we ask that you check the following:

1. You have a “Delete it” filter set which is catching more mail than it should – look for unsupported “wildcards” like “*” and “@” and any “before:” dates, which can cause hiccups.
    Click the Settings gear and click Filters. If you see a filter like the one I’ve described, go ahead and delete that filter.
    2. You are forwarding mail from this account to another account, and have set Forwarding up to delete GMail’s copy.
    Click the Gear > Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP. In the Forwarding section, make sure that it doesn’t have this delete option selected.
    3. Another account is fetching mail from this one, and you have set POP up to delete GMail’s copy.
    Click the Gear > Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP. In the POP Download section, make sure that it doesn’t have this delete option selected. Read this article for more information.
    4. You have “cleaned” out your Sent mail and sent it all to trash thinking it was all “duplicates”.
    5. You use a “unified Inbox” in one of your other access clients/devices, which might remove messages from the GMail Inbox and send them to Trash.
    Check your other clients/devices that you’re using.
    6. You access GMail from an IMAP client/phone/tablet and are deleting your mail from that client/device – which then syncs straight back to GMail and wipes out the same messages from GMail
    Don’t delete the mail from your alternative client/phone/tablet. If that resolves the issue, it’s on the other client’s end.
    7. You are “saving” your mail to a folder and deleting it so as to remove it from your Inbox now it is “saved”.
    Deleting the mail, even if “saved” to a folder, sends that email to trash! Instead, archive that email or remove it from the inbox. Read this blogpost for more information on how labelling/saving works.

If you are still having trouble understanding why mail is ending up in your trash folder, feel free to click the “Post a Question” button at the top of the page.

Best,
    Nealeigh

37. QT

/  August 28, 2015

The email that a are marked Important and are Starred are written by ME. Why the f would there be a “filter” that I created to delete my own stuff. That’s just not accurate. I go thru the SPAM and sent that garbage with the flashing icons, and jumping pictures junk spam emails recently to the trash. I did not sent my own stuff to the trash. Sheesh, what a joke Google has become.

38. QT

/  August 28, 2015

Really? Just shut up already: “Welcome to the new version of Google Product Forums! You can switch to the old design if you’d like (but really why?).”

For some reason, my own gmail email was being filtered and sent to the trash. So I did delete it as the help forum suggested and nothing came back. Nothing is in the Sent box, and I did the refresh page. So what the step after that ??!! Is it just helping on moving forward from this moment but what about the emails that is now in the TRASH ??!

39. QT

/  August 28, 2015

And I just went thru the TRASH gmail, and put some important emails into a SAVED folder. I go the the SAVED folder and there is Zinch, nada, nothing in there. No “conversations” (ugg, another irritating Gaagle term) are in the folder. “There are no conversations with this label.” Is that right? I go back thru the TRASH, and I SEE the F*cing label SAVED on the “conversations.” What the F Gaagle ???????????? Vomit inducing.

1. Why The New Gmail Sucks | Rocketboom