Top 10 Cannabis Strains to Look Out for in 2019
The message for 2019 is high-potency THC. It’s a curious journey motivated by the expanding legalized market. Demand is starting to define itself as differentiated by niches.
The first layer of demand sought quality assurance in testing, packaging, and labeling. That will influence the larger growers and developers to mass their production, but there’s a downside to this growth. That is, the demand for standardization will homogenize the product.
However, as niche markets assert themselves, providers will step up with innovations in product, flavor, aroma, and potency. This should lead to new strains created with a great deal of attention to botany and breeding.
Many of today’s best-selling strains will continue their popularity into 2019, but I’ve looked for those that deserve a new and different look.
Here are 10 cannabis strains to try in 2019:
1. Wappa has sweet fruit and citrus smoke. But, it’s the 18% to 19% THC level that sells this 60% Indica. Washington State’s I-502 data tests Wappa as second in THC content. It flowers early and yields a bunch in six to nine weeks, all of which makes it popular in Canada, U.S., and Europe.
A 60% Indica-hybrid, Wapp was Toronto’s Cannabis Cup Champ in 2014 because of its nice balance. Potent but not crushing, it is smooth and relaxing. It’s tasty enough for veterans but calming enough for newbies.
2. Destroyer has DNA from Meao Thai crossed with Mexican and Columbian genes. Purely sativa, it only has a 20% THC load. It flowers slowly in 12 to 14 weeks and produces a medium yield.
But, it creates a garden of aromas: lavender, flowers, and newly-turned soil. The 100% sativa will energize and buzz your brain with a power that could destroy first-time smokers. The 1% CBD offsets the THC just enough to take the edge off a scary response and lets you get your work done with, perhaps, some hyperactivity.
3. Irish Cream is a genetically-developed Indica strain, a splice of Real McCoy and Cookies and Cream. It’s Irish enough to clock in at 27% THC. It gives off a pleasant traditional aroma of forest greens, woods, and mulch, and it tastes of pine and garden herbs. It will produce a modest yield when flowering after seven to eight weeks.
The heavy potency will hit the head soon enough, but the power will sedate and flatten you before long. The effect offers medical patients therapy for anxiety, chronic pain, depression, sleep disorders, and stress. But, it’s a risk to new smokers who might be prone to paranoia.
4. White Tahoe Cookies come from the marriage of The White, Girl Scout Cookies, and Tahoe OG. The 70% Indica-strong hybrid tests at 27% THC. Formerly known as Kush4Breakfast, White Tahoe Cookies will blow your mind within minutes. It produces euphoria and releases creativity.
Allbud.com said earlier, “Thanks to these effects and its high THC level, White Tahoe Cookies is said to be perfect for treating insomnia, loss of appetite, nausea, chronic pain, and inflammation.” It’s easy to raise and will flower within 70 days, and smokers enjoy the nutty undertones to sweet citrus flavors.
5. Godfather OG is said to hold a 34%-plus THC bomb. That would make it the most powerful cannabis strain in the world. Its ancestors are Cherry Pie, OG Kush, and Granddaddy Purple. That Indica potency has won the High Times Cup for the powerful cerebral euphoria that leads to a total body lock.
It will produce a good yield in eight weeks with strong aromas of lemon and pine. The flavors alone will satisfy those who suffer from sleep problems, chronic pain, anxiety, and depression.
6. 3 Kings is another powerful strain for veteran users. The heir to Headband, Sour Diesel, and OG Kush, 3 Kings is two-thirds sativa and one-third Indica creating a strain with 20% THC content. Smokers find themselves sleepy early and stress-free.
The strain tastes of pine and forest soil. It will flower within 70 days and yield a moderate crop. Despite its potency, 3 Kings will leave you focuses and elated.
7. Miss USA lists 30%-plus THC testing. It’s the spawn of Kosher Dawg and Strawberry Banana which accounts for its sweet floral scent. After only a few puffs, you’ll feel yourself slipping an intense euphoria before you slide into a fully sedating relaxation.
You won’t want to try this during the morning or afternoon. It’s best enjoyed before bed and should resolve sleeping disorders.
8. Cherries Jubilee will produce a moderate yield in less than 70 days. Indica-strong, it is a cross between Forbidden Fruit and Pre ‘98 Bubba producing a gorgeous flower and very good yield.
The 22% THC will sneak up on you slowly until a tingle spreads from your neck down. Relaxation moves up and down until you relax fully. You will feel an emotional lift, but it won’t get out of control. The sedation will increase as you continue to dose, so you should be close to bedtime.
9. Auto Glueberry is a beautiful plant owing its strengths to ancestors in Gorilla Glue X OG and Auto Blueberry. It will produce a super yield of amazingly potent buds in under 80 days. Its more or less 20% THC is only slightly by 0.57% CBD.
It tastes of berry and fruit underlined with a hint of diesel. Sativa dominant, it produces a high euphoria and calming relaxation just right for before bed as therapy for anxiety and sleeping disorders.
10. I-95 offers 20% THC even though it is evenly balanced sativa and Indica. It’s a complex child of Triangle Kush, Legend OG, and Stardawg 1X2. Flavor and aroma are sour diesel strong. You can cultivate it easily for flowers within 65 days.
I-95 will make even experienced smokers cough, but it still helps with appetite loss, chronic pain, depression, and stress. The balanced content allows for daytime use. The potency will increase energy and creative focus, calming without couch-lock.
There are more
The market has grown enough to demand suppliers come up with new and interesting products. Any growth market will want to see differentiation.
Baby Boomers will drive interest something new. At the same time, their age may shy away from the THC-intensified breeds. But, Millennials will seek ownership of a new generation of strains. The opening market should make things exciting.